Ok, so…I was going to try to be healthy and make a granola bar…but the candy cane kisses were calling my name at the grocery store, so I made a semi-healthy alternative to a Christmas cookie for week three of Kim’s Dare to DIY link party.
This week is “Dare to…eat cookies!” Kim’s skillet cookie looks Ahhhmazing, so you should probably stop by and check it out.
What I have to share today is White Chocolate Peppermint Granola Bars:
I know that sounds like a lot, and maybe kind of strange, but they are actually pretty good! I wanted to make something I wouldn’t feel too bad eating and I have always wanted to try to make my own granola bars. I think they are the perfect breakfast food. I am always in a hurry in the morning, so I can grab one and go.
I found a basic recipe for granola bars on allrecipes.com (that site really has great recipes), and I substituted Craisins (left over from the turkey wrap I made last week) for raisins and added chopped up peppermint kisses.
Here is what you need for my version:
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 24 Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 8 x 11 inch baking pan.
- Chop up the kisses.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, Craisins, kisses and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.
Have you done any baking yet this holiday season? Any plans to make cookies? I will definitely be making other cookies when it gets closer to Christmas….
I hope you had a great weekend; see you soon (hopefully)!
Also linking up at Centsational Girl’s Cookiepalooza!