Hello! I am so happy everyone has come back to see what’s up at Corner of Main; it was so nice to read all the sweet comments the other day. I wanted to use this post to explain my absence…I think the title of this says it all. I will apologize now for this being a somewhat serious post and has nothing to do with DIY and or crafts! I promise to keep the blog about happy house stuff in the future!
Let’s start with The Good. I’m pregnant!
Yahoo!! Kevin and I could not be more excited to welcome a little baby into the world very soon! I am approximately 22 1/2 weeks along (or I have about 4 months to go).
The baby is measuring a lot bigger than 22.5 weeks, so there is some uncertainty about the due date. I am convinced that Baby R is planning on coming into the world at the end August, and I can’t wait!!!
All that Good makes up for any Bad that comes along with having a baby. For those of you who have ever been pregnant or who are pregnant I am sure you know all about the fatigue that come along with making a baby. Back in February I was sooooo incredibly exhausted. I seriously have no idea how some ladies continue to blog while in their first trimester. I would wake up at the crack of dawn, work all day, and immediately go to bed when I got home. Poor Kevin has taken over all cooking, cleaning, shopping, you name it…he has done it all! My exhaustion did not end after the first trimester, and I would like to blame The Ugly for this…
No this is not an ugly painting or piece of fabric…this is a slide of something called a Spindle Cell Neoplasm. And let me just tell you: it’s Ugly. I will make a very long story as short as I can here. One morning (about 2.5 months ago) I woke up with a small-ish (maybe the size of a prune) bump/mass just below my baby bump. I freaked out, thinking it had to do with the baby. I doubt I would have worried about it if I was not pregnant because it didn’t hurt, it was somewhat small, and it appeared so suddenly. After seeing about five different doctors and having a biopsy done, I was diagnosed with this ugly cell. Apparently it is very rare, frequently cancerous, very unpredictable, and has a questionable prognosis. The next step was seeing one of the very few surgical oncologist who specialize in sarcoma in the state of Illinois, along with many other docs because of the baby. What came next was immediate surgery, and now recovery. Needless to say, these last few months have been a rollercoaster of emotion. I literally just got the pathology report back from the surgeon (about 20 minutes ago), and all the bad cells were removed with a clean boarder. Phew. I can’t tell you what a relief it is to hear that! I do not need any more surgery or radiation; Thank God!
Now I can focus on the lil’ baby…
And there you have The Good, The (not too) Bad, and The Ugly of the last few months. I hope you have a good day, and I promise the next post will be not so ugly!
UPDATE: After all the tests came it, it was determined that I did in fact have cancer: hemangiopericytoma to be exact. It’s a soft tissue cancer that affects the capillaries of the blood vessels. Because of the pregnancy I did not undergo radiation. The plan at this time is to follow up frequently (every 3 months for the next 5 years). I have about a 20% chance of the tumor reoccurring or coming back in a new location. 80% isn’t bad…if that was a test in school I’d be happy with those results