A couple of months ago I shared with everyone our greige and blue living room moodboard. I am happy to report that we have actually made some progress on our big plans.
Right before Christmas Kevin and I decided to paint the entire living room! Note to self: never try to paint a main room in the house prior to having a party. Amazingly enough, we were able to get it done and celebrate Christmas on time (we were definitely down to the wire though).
Kevin and I selected two shades of greige Benjamin Moore paint off the same paint chip.
I really thought they were going to look more beige based on the tiny sample (and oddly enough this photo looks quite beige), but once they dried on the wall they look pretty gray. No biggie. The end result is beautiful and we are happy with it, especially since our new sofa is gray! Yes, we finally bought a new sofa! I feel like I have been talking about the Martha Stewart Saybridge Sofa forever. The day after Thanksgiving I finally bit the bullet and ordered this velvety dream…
We still have quite a few things to finish and get for the living room, but that will probably take us a while (we are about to buy a new car which wasn’t exactly part of our plans!). One thing that will probably get done sooner than later is an update to the mirror we had hanging over the fireplace. Here is a peak at an older pic of the fireplace:
It was previously painted tan and the off white mirror looked great. We went ahead and painted the fireplace white, and obviously the wall above it is now greige…
I love that mirror, but I am not loving the off white color. I plan on painting it a distressed white to better match the fireplace and woodwork. What do you think? yay? or nay? a different color? Can you see another difference in the two pics? Kevin painted the dirty grout (in the center of the bricks) with a grout paint marker. It worked pretty well and made it look a bit fresher!
Other things we have planned for the room are:
- Adding wood details to the fireplace and updating the tile. We are undecided if we should tile over the bricks or just paint them at this point. Any opinions on that?
- Buy coffee table and sofa table.
- Buy a new area rug.
- Purchase and hang art or photos.
- Find additional seating. I have my heart set on a particular love seat from Pier 1, but we’ll see how long it takes for us get around to buying it! I’d love to try reupholstering a chair or two if I can find some wingback chairs that are in decent shape.
- Get new window treatments! This is a major one that I almost forgot. The blinds in this room have got to go…and if you read my blog regularly, you already know that Kevin hates curtains, so new blinds it is!
I am sure there is a ton more that I am forgetting, but this is a start. I still have my rugsusa groupon so hopefully I can cross something off that list soon. Speaking of which, it expires on the 23rd so I better get on that!